Two neat things happened today. The cupcake truck came to the Watergate and I saw the cherry blossoms.
Yes, there is a truck, similar to an ice cream truck, that drives around DC selling cupcakes. It is really quite an amazing thing. Sadly I'd forgotten to take my camera down with me and the photo taken of me in front of the truck is perhaps the most unflattering one in existence (and definitely makes me reconsider the wisdom of eating any more cupcakes for the time being!!!)
I snuck out of work at 5pm and went and joined the hordes of tourists looking at the cherry blossoms. They really are quite beautiful, though they were predominantly white when I thought they would be more pink. There were a few stray pink ones, but it was surprising how few of them there were. I'm not sure if that's something that changes each season and that perhaps it was affected by the cold and snow we had here this winter or if it is just the way it is. Here are a couple of my attempts at the classic postcard shot.
I walked most of the way around the Basin and made it to the Jefferson memorial - though poor Jefferson is entirely fenced in and under construction. I could have walked all around him to get on to the monument itself, but I opted not to. I would have thought they'd want him looking his best for this time of year, but it seems like an on-going project, complete with signs asking for donations! This just adds to my theory of Jefferson as the forgotten President. No one cares about who came third...if Lincoln needed upkeep, they wouldn't have to beg for donations - that's all I'm sayin'!!
Tomorrow, the last of the shows opens and soon, soon, life will return to some sort of normal.
1) Way to defend Jefferson 2) CUPCAKE TRUCK?! 3) Beautiful pics!!!
ReplyDelete4) Miss you!