Monday, March 8, 2010

Because I didn't want to have spent the entire weekend at work, at the end of the day yesterday, a friend and I made a quick jaunt over to Arlington where the Iwo Jima memorial is. Officially, it is the US Marine Corp Memorial, but everyone calls it Iwo Jima because it is that iconic image.

It's very impressive up close I have to say. Though it really bugged my friend that one of the "conflicts" listed on it was referred to as "the war between the States" as opposed to "the Civil War". In the south, the Civil War is apparently referred to as "The War of Northern Aggression", whereas I've heard northerners call it "the war of Southern Stupidity".

This evening we had a welcome reception for the 3 plays. It was at the home of the KC's CEO, which happens to be a 3 storey penthouse condo. It was a beautiful place as you can imagine - and the art work was, well, I think David Mirvish has a more extensive collection, but I'm not sure I've come across another like it otherwise. Surprisingly small kitchen, but I guess with these sorts of homes, you have your events catered. (which this was of course...)
Otherwise I'm pooped and it's only Monday...I'm too old for this company management stuff!!
(oh, but one very cool thing is that I will have my name in the playbills for these 3 shows...that's pretty neat I have to admit).

1 comment:

  1. When I lived there, I used to call it the 'Men Pushing Up Flag' monument. It's a pretty good place to watch the July 4th fireworks if you don't want to be downtown.

    ReplyDelete