I think I may have told this story already, but I'm so tired, I can't even be bothered to go back and check!! So apologies, if I have.
I stayed for the first half of the Mariinsky Opera's War and Peace. In my defense, the first half was two hours long and I'm working all day tomorrow so... It was the final dress rehearsal so it had some odd technical things going on - mainly that the director was on stage the whole time checking furniture (which he mostly seemed dissatisfied with), telling the extras where to move, standing in for at least two main characters who were absent for some reason or other and conducting the orchestra. It was quite something to see! A big deal had been made about their set - a huge revolve that was set on a very steep rake (this leading to the furniture not sitting properly and some of the drops not landing as they should). So steep in fact that many of the actors were having huge trouble walking on it without tripping or appearing drunk. The whole thing was quite strange. I'm glad to have seen what I did, but not at all sad that I left.
There is a lot going on with some of my dear friends in Toronto - I'm thinking of you guys...
No comments:
Post a Comment