Saturday, March 13, 2010

Last night after an insane day preparing for the first preview of show #3 (which opens first if you recall), I went to see Christoph Eschenbach (our future musical director and principal conductor of the NSO) conduct Verdi's Requiem. Wow is all I can say. Good things are in store for this orchestra. Of course the Post's critic hated it but she seems to hate everything that the NSO does.
Verdi is over the top - we had trumpets playing from the second balcony, a 150+ member chorus singing, 4 soloists...it was impressive. The Concert Hall's acoustics are not the best, but for the first time the NSO filled the room with sound. It was like they were all trying to play a little better and bigger than normal. As an aside the two male soloists really need new headshots - sorry boys but we can tell you've aged 15 years. Men seem to do this more often than women. At least male singers anyway.
My favourite quote of the night was when one of my fellow fellows remarked that they didn't like it, Kentucky fellow said "It's about the end of the world, of course it's depressing!"

In the morning we had our first seminar with the KC's chief legal counsel. I do sometimes wonder if I should have pursued that whole law school thing more vigorously when I thought of it because I find all this stuff fascinating.
I have to say though I think I've hit a wall where I need a vacation because most of my fellow fellows are driving me nuts. In the seminars we have, there's one fellow who just won't shut up (I mean seriously, we are taking up the time of a very highly paid person at least show some basic courtesy), one of the others always forgets the work we are supposed to bring with us and so always needs to borrow from someone else - I mean I feel like I'm in grade school sometimes. Anyway, I have the day off to myself today so hopefully I will get my equilibrium back before Monday. I'm going to work tomorrow but should be without fellows at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment