Saturday, January 23, 2010

The week included two State Department events. The US State Department is big on "cultural diplomacy" these days. The first event involved international arts managers visiting from Russia, Syria and Pakistan (this was a KC organized exchange) and we got to meet them at a reception on their last day here. This was really great actually and I wish we'd met them at the beginning of their two weeks here (something I expressed and I think will change with the next group in March). It's just very interesting seeing how other countries work and fund (or not) the arts. Especially work that is happening in countries that have other things to worry about and focus on than the arts - and yet the art still happens.
The second event was the launch of DanceMotion USA (I think that's the program's name). This one is coordinated by BAM in Brooklyn and involves three dance companies touring to Africa and Asia. I'm unclear what the point of this program really is as the companies involved were not the best known dance companies from the states, and one in particular seemed to be using amateur dancers, so maybe I'm missing a link here. The overwhelming feeling I've been left with after these events is that it isn't so much about cultural exchange, but rather a strange form of cultural imperialism - though with a soft and fuzzy non-threatening covering.

1 comment:

  1. I hope at least you used the opportunity to occasionally yell, "I doubt your commitment to Dance Motion!"

    (a slight paraphrase of the most awesome quote from the movie Donnie Darko)

    erin

    ReplyDelete