It was packed - apparently there are a lot of young Democrats here. I thought at first that I'd have to move us back to my place if we were going to actually hear the speech, but the place went silent (after the cheering) once the President came on. The crowd of course reacted as you'd imagine a group of young democrats would. Going wild appropriately and booing and taunting the Republicans to stand up and clap the tax cuts etc. The speech actually re-iterated to me what an amazing orator the President is - I mean truly brilliant. It would be difficult to poke too many holes in any of what he said. I do lean (okay teeter) left myself, but regardless I do think it's important to remind people of where the American deficit actually came from and who caused the collapse in the housing market here. Who started the Iraq war. But I digress.
When I've been to events or bars in Toronto where the Democrats Abroad are hosting the crowd is significantly older, so recognizing that this is DC and everyone is political, it was nice to see young people engaged in what was happening around them. I chatted with two young guys who had worked on the Virginia Governor race (Democrats lost) and these were guys who worked full time other places but interned and campaigned for weeks (without pay). It's impressive and probably pretty rare outside this area.
Harman Center tour was pretty lame last night - not backstage at all, only the lobbies and the auditorium which I'd already seen. So that was disappointing. Tomorrow I'm seeing the American Ballet Theatre production of Romeo & Juliet. I haven't seen many full length ballets as I only go if I can go for free, so I hope to enjoy it. Otherwise work is a bit nutty, but am getting through it...
You should try reading some of the really lefty blogs in the States, like Shakesville. They aren't very happy either. Still no healthcare, still no cuts to defence, still with the secret trials...
ReplyDeleteerin