Saturday, January 23, 2010

It was bound to happen..

Last night I went to my first DC gay bar. I was there with two fellow fellows and one fellows boyfriend. It was a very interesting cultural experience. My one friend and I were the only women there and the bar seemed to self-segregate. The second floor where we were was entirely black (well except me and the Kentucky fellow of course), the main floor, mostly white. I hadn't really noticed this until my friend who frequents this bar told me that that was the way it was. However, this is actually one of the few bars in this area where the groups mix at all, otherwise there is a latino gay bar, a couple of all-black ones etc.
I'm sorry if I go on about it, but I do find the racial politics here fascinating and foreign. DC is a different type of city too of course because the black population is the majority here - I believe it's the only city in the US where this is the case. History is so prominent and wounds of the riots of the 50s and 60s here still fresh. I suppose it's good that the relations are as progressive as they are, though there feels like there is still so far to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment