Friday, January 29, 2010

Today was long. I spent pretty much the whole day in our Hall of Nations registering people for our McNally auditions. It was interesting to see the differences in the type of city DC is from Toronto after casting the last two seasons at Canstage. Today was a mix of scheduled appointments and "open" call- which essentially means you didn't need an appointment, you could just show up. In Toronto, any open call would be swamped (I believe the open call for Hair at Canstage had over 1000). Here we had five walk ups the entire day. Five. Apparently last year for Ragtime they had hundreds but still you would think anyone in this area would really die for a chance at a KC contract and to be seen by this theatre department.

The other major difference was the huge number of people who just didn't show up. We'd get that in Toronto too, but it might be one a day, today easily 10 people didn't show up. Didn't call or email just didn't show. This is not a sophisticated arts town and here is just another way that it comes through. In Toronto, there is such a large acting community that you show up, you crash, you do what you have to do to get seen. I think I'd hate to be a talent agent here!

Apparently too, the Hall of Nations is where I should have been hanging out all along to meet men. I was asked out twice this afternoon! Perhaps it's because I was wearing lipstick. Lipstick is one of those luxury items I've cut back on. I used to wear it every day, but being here on a fixed income and out of reach of my friends with MAC discount cards, I've gotten out of the habit. But today since I was going to be dealing with the public, I figured I should make an effort. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment