Sunday, January 17, 2010

Gorillas make me sad

They always do. They know that they are not where they should be. They always sit in the absolute furthest corner of their "environments" obviously trying to get away from the public. It never fails to make me very sad. I know that likely they are better off here than in what's left of their natural habitat, but what does that say about what we've done to the world.

I did make it to the zoo today - will upload some pics tomorrow probably as it's too late this evening for my brain to function enough to do it. It was a beautiful day here and even though many of the pavilions were closed for renovations (so no elephants or sloths or seals...) the zoo was really quite crowded. I was surprised at how busy it was. It made me glad I went in January, the lowest tourist season here, because I imagine the crowds are nuts in the summer. It's a good size zoo, but not huge. I'd say more Calgary zoo size than Metro Toronto but considering it is in the middle of the city (there are actually some beautiful apartments that surround it), they have done a nice job.

DC is a small place as my fellow fellow and I bumped in to someone we knew at the zoo. He even remembered her name (which was good, because I didn't). Maybe everyone I know just goes to the same places, but this seems to happen with fair regularity here...

After we walked back to Dupont Circle - which I thought was a shorter walk than it turned out to be. It looked shorter on the map anyway, but it was probably 2-3 miles - it seemed long after walking the length of the zoo twice (only one pedestrian entrance that we could find...). Fortunately it was still nice out. Then I had him and another of the fellows over to my apartment for drinks-my first hosting at my new place. Having a roommate whose boyfriend lives in Baltimore is very handy. Two nights in a row now I've had the place to myself. I am going to be spoiled and not want to share again tomorrow night...

No comments:

Post a Comment