Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Terra Cotta Warriors


This one's for Laura....

The girl who cannot go to an exhibit without touching something!!!

Okay, okay, no I did not touch the 2200 year old warrior! They had one at the end of the exhibit that you could photograph and "touch with care". It was hollow (which was a bit disappointing...)
Finally made it to the exhibit that's been on since November. The National Geographic Museum is one of the few with evening opening hours and since it's only about seven blocks away, that was perfect. Also, there is something fun about going to a museum at night. It was pretty fascinating, though I wished of course that they'd had a huge room filled with them - instead I think they had about 15. Still amazing craftmanship. My favourite thing was actually this miniature diorama in clay which depicted the construction of the warriors. It was probably about 14 ft long and gave a real sense of the artistry and precision involved, as well as the shear factory like quality the construction must have had.

In other news, I had my first meeting for my theatre rotation today. I'm actually going to request tomorrow to leave marketing early so I can get started (plus, you know, marketing is boring...). We have 3 shows happening in rep - though since they are each in different venues, it's not true rep, just many plays happening all at once. I'm pleased because they trust me enough to give me one of them to company manage on my own, and I'll be the associate on the other two. It's going to be a lot of work and long hours so basically don't expect to visit me in March or April. However, it will be nice to be involved in something real again and to get back to the business of show biz. I haven't been a true "company manager" since Rent, though I faked it at Canstage a bit, so it's back to being nice to actors! I think I'll remember how to do it.. :-) The challenge will be of course that American Equity rules are just different enough to catch me up, so I'm going to have to do my homework ahead of time. I also think I'm going to try and cram in as many sight-seeing things as I can in the next few weeks as I'll be working weekends again while the shows are up. It's good. It'll be great as long as I don't screw up!

No comments:

Post a Comment