Sunday, January 24, 2010

The strangest things happen to me here...

Maybe it's because I'm out of my comfort zone. Maybe it's because it's all temporary. Who knows. But I can pretty much guarantee you that a cashier in a drugstore in Canada has never offered to play a card game with me in the store...
Here's the story. Tonight a bunch of us were planning on going to "nerds nite" at my favourite DC dive bar, DC9 (I've only been there once to see Elliott Brood but was looking forward to going back). Nerds Nite is when they have a live band but between sets there is a lecture about various things - tonight two of the topics were the mating habits of some sort of stick insect and cemetery architecture - the latter I actually was looking forward to. Anyway, we didn't know you could get tickets ahead of time and so discovered it was sold out (nerds I guess plan ahead) so we decided to have a board game night at ACC's place. I was given Clue in chocolate form as a Christmas present (awesome) and we thought we'd pick up some sort of card game as well on the way home. We stop at Walgreens, a drug store, and are in line with a pack of regular playing cards and UNO, a card game I've heard of but do not know. The line is long so the cashier working the photo processing area calls us over to ring up our purchases. I think he's joking when he offers to play a game in the store. He's not. So we do and for the next half an hour we are playing UNO in the Walgreens while he continues to look after people picking up their photos (and he simultaneously teaches me the game as I of course have no idea what I'm doing...).
When we finished and I am victorious!!! beginners luck maybe, Curtis D. as his name tag says, asks where the UNO tournament is happening tonight and I'm thinking, are you even of legal drinking age?? Seriously I think he was 19 years old at best (cute though!! really cute...) We don't of course offer to have him join us but it was all rather surreal and crazy... it will be boring when these things don't happen to me any more...

No comments:

Post a Comment