Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Be nice to telemarketers

I spent part of the afternoon yesterday with the telemarketing team for the KC. We keep them in this little room in the roof of the concert hall. It's actually much more pleasant up there than I had imagined it would be. They are a little bit on top of each other, but otherwise it is quite civilized.
Now I find many of the methodologies used to motivate telemarketers a bit weird - like for instance, they refer to themselves as "fine art consultants". And if one of them is in a bad mood, their manager puts this little plastic walking crab on their desks because they are being "crabby". Whatever gets you through the day.

I got to sit and listen to Carl, our top caller for the last two weeks, as he made his calls and I swear I would have bought something from him he was that good - and I can go for free. He was calling for the NSO and there are about 40 concerts left this season with them, each with a different conductor, soloist, repertoire. This guy knew them all and he could put packages together for someone based on a couple of simple questions in moments. He was amazing. He made every call just like he was chatting with a friend he hadn't spoken to in awhile. They have a script to go from, and he would follow it but deviate enough to respond to how the person on the line was reacting. Sure he had hang ups as well, but I never thought I'd come out of a telemarketing session that motivated about what you can accomplish in sales that way. I mean it all still feels a little dirty to me, but they were calling only people who had purchased something in the last couple of years so it wasn't a pure cold call - theoretically these people liked the symphony a little anyway - and it's a really good deal they are being offered. So if the KC calls you, buy it!

Tonight I went to see a really good play. I know, it was bound to happen sometime here. It's on at Arena Stage and the timing is particularly good as tomorrow afternoon I have an info interview with their Managing Director. I still have to think of smart things to ask him...better do that now I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment