I was home in time to watch the end of the women's figure skating, though I couldn't bare to, so I skyped my friend Katherine instead to have her tell me what was happening. Joannie's short program was so moving, I knew I couldn't watch the long program live unless I knew the results. She did so well! I don't know how she managed it, but what a brave girl. I'm just so happy that she won the bronze. Never has a medal been more deserved and harder to achieve. I just want to give her a hug.
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Tonight instead of watching the women's gold medal hockey game, I went to see what turned out to be probably one of the worst productions of Sweeney Todd ever produced. It was at Signature Theatre in Arlington - well the Shirlington neighbourhood of Arlington which is completely unreachable by public transit. It is also a bit like Pleasantville. Seriously, it was a completely planned community. So it feels very much like everything is where it should be and is very neat and tidy and not having public transit keeps the poor people away. I went with the other members of the theatre department which was actually kinda fun. Also, at the show, I was sitting next to the theatre critic for the Washington Post and we had a lovely conversation. He is very charming and thought I was funny and insightful (how clever he was!!! and so unlike a certain Toronto theatre critic...). At intermission my co-workers and I were discussing the going for dessert option instead of staying for the second act and I suggested it might be inappropriate since we were next to the reviewer, at which point he leaned over and said "go for it. I would if I could". I tell you, it was not a good show! However, we behaved ourselves and stayed. If we'd left, we would have missed the meat carcass bags falling from the ceiling at the curtain call. I wish I was kidding.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"meat carcass bags" quote of the day.
ReplyDelete