Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I feel a bit like I'm missing the Olympics. Facebook will tell me that a Canadian has won another medal but I won't have seen the event live and can't find it on the NBC website (go figure, tonight when I looked it was like women's ski cross didn't exist...interesting). I'm going to try and find somewhere to watch the women's hockey final on Thursday.

Today went pretty well overall. First days are always a bit weird but I tried to make some inroads with the cast and get them to warm up to me a bit. The stage management/company management dynamic here is odd - I think it's a KC thing not an American thing but it certainly isn't what I'm used to. They are very big on hierarchy here which is a bit annoying- except that I've never really had any respect for authority so I'm just trying to do my thing, get stuff done and not make a fuss. People are also very big on making a show that they are doing things. A trait that I hate a lot. I'm also discovering again and again how big companies and institutions don't necessarily have the best people working for them. Often they have very mediocre people who can drift simply because the place is so big. I seem to be working with a number of people currently who really aren't so good at their jobs (this is not the first time of course...) and it's a little disappointing (not to mention frustrating). An example. Someone (NOT me) was supposed to invite our CEO to today's first read thru Someone "didn't get around to it". Seriously? how is it possible that you are still employed...

No comments:

Post a Comment