Thursday, February 11, 2010

Delayed opening

So this is something else that they do around here. We are open today (naturally) but we don't have to be in until 11 - so a 2 hour delay to the day. The theory is to give people more time because of the inclement weather. (though beautiful and sunny today...) It's nice since I heard about it last night, I got a bit extra sleep this morning. I'm fighting a cold (losing currently) but it's one of those ones where you feel like crap when horizontal but okay once you get up. I've always thought this was a bit cruel since aren't you supposed to rest when sick? Blah.

The other option we have is called "liberal leave". It's something I had never heard of before but is very common in this area. When your employer tells you you can take "liberal leave" (usually due to weather) it means you can take a vacation day without having given the requisite notice that you weren't going in. Many offices will again just follow the Feds with this, so if your office isn't closed outright chances are you have the option for liberal leave. Many, many places have already announced that they are closed until Tuesday (it's the Presidents' Day holiday Monday). It really is mind boggling to me. No word yet on what will be open this weekend - so I'm trying to come up with creative alternatives for Piggy and I! Fortunately the next four days are supposed to be sunny and just above freezing. And I'm sure a bar or two will be open so all is not lost! We can always go look at Lincoln in the snow...

I am debating my route to work as I'm sure no one will have shoveled. There is a much longer way I can take but it has the advantage of being a less traveled street, so chances are I could walk in the middle of it if I can't find the sidewalk. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment