Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The end of the weekend was as full and busy as the beginning of it, (the cathedral and the National Gallery, oh and Chinese food!) so until I've downloaded my photos I'm going to focus instead on telling you about my evening today.

The female fellows went to meet with the director of Ford's Theater. Famously, this is the theatre where Lincoln was assassinated. I learned tonight that it had only been open about 3 years before the assassination and it was forced to close afterwards (it was threatened by angry mobs with being burned down if it re-opened). This is an example of the wrong type of institutional marketing. Anyway, their director was very generous with his time and gave us a really interesting and different perspective on arts management. The KC is such a beast in terms of size that it is really important for us to meet these people who work in more realistic venues. Also, it is interesting to hear how the KC affects those venues in this market. There are only so many dollars to go around.
Conveniently, after our meeting and tour of the space (saw the box where the deed was done), there was a French bistro across the street so wine and pommes frites were had.
That's it for tonight. More tomorrow when I should be in at a decent time...

No comments:

Post a Comment