This is one of my favourite images from the weekend. It's outside Union Station at dusk.
Work has gotten insane. The stage managers are in prep for 2 of the shows and the first cast starts next week. While I never made a fortune at the Mirv, I'm finding it ...difficult to do the amount of work expected (or at least required in my mind) for basically no salary. I've already had to lay down the law and say that I won't work six days a week for the next two months because we don't need 2 company managers there to look after 2 shows with a total cast of 12. I don't care how many Broadway people are in them. I remember very clearly running back and forth along Pearl Street doing two shows at once - which maybe wasn't the best system, but it isn't impossible. I am trying to find my zen place and remember how good this experience will be on my resume, and then I can go back and get a job and be in charge again!!
On a lighter note, I keep meaning to mention my latest quest which is to find the walk signal with the greatest number of seconds on it. Or I have? I do sometimes feel like I'm losing my mind here...well anyway, if I've mentioned it before, ignore me. The walk signals here have the countdown similar to those in Canada except that the length of time varies and is truly bizarre. Like you'll have 12 seconds to cross a busy street and 48 seconds a side road. I realize it is all about the flow of traffic but why 48 seconds and not 50? or 45? a rounder number. Anyway, I'm on a quest to find the longest countdown. The winner so far? The corner of 18th and S St. with 71 seconds! And this is a very small corner.
Oh, and just because this is in my brain now and I'll forget later - as most of you know, my birthday is coming up in March. I ask that you don't send me presents. I've got too many things and not a lot of room here and I occasionally have stress dreams about packing and making it all fit into my suitcases (this is true!). So save whatever "thing" you might think of getting me until I have a new home wherever and whenever that is...thank you!!
Or donate money to the Theatre Centre - that's always good too.
Aw! I was going to send you a box of Shreddies!
ReplyDeleteMail some of your stuff back. Books, shoes, etc. That'll help. You ought to splurge on something for yourself - http://www.marimekko.com/eng/bags/novelties/010/
ReplyDeletego to that address and you will find love. They have 3 MD locations.
Christina, you are pure evil!!! I can even get to the Bethesda location on the metro!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd Shreddies are a consumable so they don't count :-)