The snow of '99 in Toronto (that of Mel Lastman calling in the army fame) started with 40 cm followed quickly by another 20 cm or so. Which I guess is roughly what we are at now - though a week ago there was no snow here so we were going from bare pavement whereas Toronto would have had some snow to start out with. Though I don't remember how much.
What I find immensely frustrating is the fact that it's okay to not have a plan. The snow keeps falling and not being removed properly so people can't drive and the metro is shut down and people shrug and seem to that that's acceptable - for the capital of the free world (essentially) to come to a complete standstill. The place is shut down. Tomorrow will be the third day in a row that federal government employees are off (which includes some of the KC staff who work for the building itself not what goes on inside the building) and many, many businesses follow what the Feds do so they are also closed. When really, they could have gotten rid of this by now. Of course something like 25% of our snowplows are broken (thank you bro for sending me that) and we are basically out of salt. But today's snow we've known about since the weekend - plenty of time to say, hey, this is the nation's capital, perhaps somewhere - Maine or Minnesota where is snows all the time - could send us some plows and salt and some people who know what the hell they are doing!!! Or ask Canada. Canada would have helped if we'd been asked nicely. But no, instead everyone complains endlessly about the snow and then complains if they had to go to work anyway and complains if their kid's school was closed because of the snow. It's just boring on top of being annoying.
On the plus side, chances are good that I'll have a snow day tomorrow. I think I even went to work when Mel called in the army, so this would be a first for me. Fingers crossed, since I have the start of a cold and I'd love a little extra rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment