Thursday, February 11, 2010

Black Ice/ Whip out

It was bound to happen. I was on a desperate search for a fresh vegetable. Any fresh vegetable and I knew Whole Foods would have them. It would cost me, but they would be there. (and I was right, they did have them) I took a long circuitous route to get there trying to think strategically about what might and might not be plowed. And I was doing really well. I hit a long stretch of office buildings on 20th with completely cleared sidewalk. I speed up and...swoosh. Down I go. Black ice. Didn't even see it. Now, you all know I'm as graceful as a gazelle so me falling over is not a big shock. I'm fine. Ripped my tights and skinned my knee but it happened so fast I didn't try to save myself - which is good. It did however make me very grumpy. Blah.

This morning as I left my apartment the city had a crew shoveling pedestrian walk-ways so you could cross U St. I think both U and 16th are snow routes so they get plowed frequently, but the snow banks were getting massive. So some forward thinking city manager sent out crews of guys to clear the paths - with garden shovels. I guess we don't own any snow shovels and they raided landscaping. It was well intentioned anyway (though they did a terrible job as I noticed on my way home).

The walk took an hour as expected too. There were very few cars out so getting around was okay. Tuesday when everyone is driving again will be a bit of a nightmare I think. I'm very glad tomorrow is Friday...

No comments:

Post a Comment