Sunday, May 23, 2010

Yesterday I finally made it to Jefferson. Yes, I know, I never believed I'd get there either. And you know, he's worth the trek! Very impressive - I actually prefer him to Lincoln. I'll post photos later but he's standing in the middle of a rotunda and he's all shadowy and mysterious. Lincoln is sitting and looking down over the mall which has a different power to it. Maybe Jefferson has stood up because his monument is sinking in to the Tidal Basin and he's just preparing to make a run for it.
I also visited FDR for the first time. Now he has good real estate. His memorial is long and divided into four sections representing his four terms in office. Each section has statues and a water element. It is very peaceful (well appart from the visiting high school marching band) and dignified. Next to FDR will be the site of the Martin Luther King memorial. I haven't seen the designs for it, but from the look of the construction he's going to be significant.
I showed my friends around the KC after we finished on the Mall. That never gets old. Yes on one had it feels a bit like a convention center because the halls are so big and we have so many venues, but on the other, the place is beautiful. And the views of the city - well, I'm going to miss sitting out on the terrace at lunch and watching the river.

Our last week begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment