Saturday, May 8, 2010

EU Embassy open house day

Today I visited Bulgaria, Estonia, Cyprus (yes started with the significantly less wealthy countries - poor Bulgaria even had broken tile steps), Denmark, United Kingdom, Finland and Belgium. And a mosque (that randomly was also having an open house). Considering the lines to get in, I think we did pretty well. I would have liked to have sneaked in Ireland or Italy or the Czech Republic, but it just wasn't possible - I think I walked about 8 miles as it was.

Apparently Europeans like alcohol as we got free wine, whisky and beer in addition to lots of food. We were judging a country based on how good the free stuff was (Finland and Belgium were neck and neck) - though line management was won hands down by the Danes. The Scandinavian countries were the most architecturally interesting, while the UK was the most impressive in terms of size. Finland's embassy is the first LEED certified embassy in the US so it's all very environmentally responsible. But the Brits had water bottles made out of plants...see I'm just listing off random facts, my brain is that full!

Below is the Ambassador's residence for the UK. And beautiful gardens that we could walk through - which are huge. Also just down the street from Joe Biden's place, so in a good neighbourhood :-) Next time I'm doing something exciting in DC, I want to be invited to a party here. I didn't even think to let them know I was in town :-)

Nice that they also had a sense of humour....

No comments:

Post a Comment