Saturday, May 15, 2010

Honestly DC weather is nuts. They like drama and extremes. Today was all about the severe thunderstorms and warnings and lots of red flashing across the weather reports. There was a risk of hail though I don't know if we got any.
A bunch of us had gone for dinner in Georgetown before going back to work for a dance show (good. contemporary dance from Spain by a company whose name is escaping me because it was in Spanish) and of course the downpour occurred during our 15 minute walk back. We were all extremely (more extreme!) wet. Fortunately I tend to keep an average of four pairs of shoes under my desk at work so I had several dry options to choose from.

We all survived our mock labour negotiations relatively unscathed. Though god it was a long day. Basically we were sequestered in the executive conference room and couldn't leave until we had a settlement. That took about six and a half hours. At several points I lost my will to live but somehow soldiered on. My side (management) had brought coffee and donuts (very civilized I thought of us!!) and that was fortunate as we were living off caffeine and sugar. Anyway, even though I've sat on negotiation teams before, I did find this exercise helpful - though soul destroying!! Oh but y'all'd be so proud at how diplomatic and politically correct I can be now (oh yes! it's true!), it's impressive...

1 comment: