Friday night I ventured to Maryland for the first (and perhaps last!) time to see some modern dance. The dance was not good and the journey was far. Blah. We did however pass a string of excellent strip mall dining establishments - Pollo Primo 2, Don Pollo and my favorite where I wish we'd had time to stop - Pollo Wow! (yes, the restaurant had an ! in its title). Pollo is chicken for my non-Spanish speaking friends and I think Pollo Wow! has a lot of promise.
Saturday night I went to the final preview of the new Woolly Mammoth show (for those of you perhaps not involved in theatre - Hallowe'en is a great night to see a play for free or cheap since no one buys tickets and it is typically a very slow night - this was free). It was an interesting piece and certainly the best theatre I've seen in DC so far. The piece, called Full Circle, takes place in multiple locations around their building (very funky building). It was sort of about the fall of the Berlin Wall except that it wasn't really. It was never actually sinister and was quite stylized in how it was presented - inspired by Caucasian Chalk Circle. It felt a bit likely something we would have seen in Toronto in the 90s, but I think for this town, a noble effort. And very neat to see the space and the different things they did with it. It would be wonderful if when the Theatre Centre's renovations are complete, the building could be as versatile as this one.
Today, I went to a fellows brunch out in Eastern Market. Really nice to see people in such a relaxed and normal setting. I think we are all craving something in our life to be normal. As neat and interesting as everything is, it's exhausting having everything new and different all the time (and still). It's nice to find moments that remind us of how we used to live.
I would like to go to Pollo Wow! I also like the sound of brunch in Eastern Market. Mmm...now I'm just hungry - thanks!
ReplyDelete