Friday, November 6, 2009

A Streetcar Named Desire

I wonder what it means when I say I think the definitive production of Tennessee Williams' classic piece has been created by an Australian theatre company. Paid for by Americans, but not created by them.
I have only seen two productions of Streetcar before last night. Most recently in Toronto by Soulpepper (a good 10 years ago), in an absolutely horrific self-indulgent version. So perhaps my sample is not large. But what I do know is that too often people play up the obvious. Stanley tries to be Marlon Brando. Stella is just a one dimensional victim. Not so in the Sydney Theatre Co. production.
Cate Blanchett is divine as Blanche. She seems so easy on stage somehow. So at home there. There isn't a false or artificial moment in her work. It's interesting, in her talk earlier in the week, she mentioned accents and the discussion they had had surrounding the southern accents in this piece. She spoke about the rhythms in Williams' writing and how without the accents the dialogue did not flow as he intended it to. The all Australian acting company's accents were of course flawless. But it is the rhythm of this production that they got exactly right. Nothing is forced, every moment is honest. The design is perfect. Dingy enough but allows for some clever staging. Mostly muted colours with a couple of noted exceptions in the costumes.
The other actors kept pace with Cate too. Especially I felt the Stella. Robin McLeavy, an Australian actress with no international credits, plays Stella with many levels and great empathy. She isn't a victim here - she's made choices, maybe not great ones, but she doesn't regret them and that's a take on the character that I'd not seen before. Stanley is complex. You don't like him at all but he's charismatic and has got that thing that some of those bastard guys have (and takes his shirt off a LOT which is just fine).
The play runs 3 hours 15 minutes but it honestly flew by. I'd go see it again if I could get a ticket.

There have been many Cate sightings now around the building - I have yet to have my first one. I think I should take up smoking as it seems to be the smokers who see her up on the terrace sneaking a ciggy. I do have to admit I've been entering and leaving through the Eisenhower stage door more than normal :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment