I went to class today for the first time and I have to say that I miss Jayme (my old teacher) and class! This class was really geared at the people in our dance department (it is coordinated through them) so it is a very advanced class. That shouldn't matter for yoga really as you can adjust and modify your own practice and go at your own pace. Except this teacher doesn't demonstrate the poses, she only says the names and she wasn't always using a name that I knew or remembered (fish pose? I don't know if I'd every done fish pose...). If you had never taken a yoga class, you would be completely lost in this one. I didn't like that - I like yoga classes that really welcome all levels of experience where there is lots of room to work towards improving yourself without feeling self-conscious (this again is Jayme's influence!)
This teacher also used some weird terminology like "Sun Salutes" instead of "salutations". It made me feel like I was in the military. It was an ashtanga class, so much faster than I am accustomed to with the vinyasas (spelling?) in between poses, which I just don't like (that's partly laziness I admit). So it was fast and confusing until I figured out what pose she meant and not the easiest environment for me to focus on the exercise. Also quite exhausting
- especially for mid day on a Monday. Not sure how often I'll go. It felt good to get some exercise in a structured way but I need to look elsewhere. There is a studio down the street from me which I really should check out at least for a weekend class.
Bad yoga teachers are the most annoying things on Earth! Don't do the vinyasas between poses, it's just a way to keep your heart rate up. She should be telling you it's optional anyway, evil creature.
ReplyDeleteErin
This is the fun part, where you find out that your yoga teacher has been secretly lurking on your blog, keeping up-to-date on all your shenanigans! *cue: Pink Panther theme music* (you can blame this one on Christina - she sent me the link)
ReplyDeleteErin is absolutely right. The vinyasas exist to maintain body heat between poses. They're NOT required or necessary. Skip them.
We've done a bit of Astanga before in class, so all of the poses should be somewhat familiar. Cue off the other students if the teacher isn't demo-ing.
Remember to move into each pose through Phases 1/2/3, build them from the ground up! (even if the teacher doesn't teach this way, you can still do it by yourself).
The foundation you set is more important than how 'deep' you go in any particular pose. Honour your body and never move deeper than the edge of the stretch. These principles apply to every yoga pose.
Stay true to yourself. This is really the hardest part because, if the class is full of dancers, let's face it: dancers are bendy (I'm more than familiar with this scenario; my yoga teacher training was FULL of former dancers).
Ideally, everyone in a class is moving towards their own 'edge'. They're feeling the same stretch, even if they're in different places.
It's *never* about the 'shape' you're making with your body. It's ALL about the sensations you feel and using mindful breathing to move through them.
Eek! Sorry to step right up onto a soap box in my very first comment on your blog (btw,"Hi Gail! How are you?").
I just got all giddy when I saw you were doing some yoga, then dismayed because you were discouraged. If this class doesn't feel good to you, find another that does (Iyengar-inspired Hatha will probably be your best bet).
If things get desperate enough, I may need to start my own YouTube channel!! ;-)
Sending you lots of love and a long Savasana!
Jayme
Yay Jayme!!! And see I was giving you a long distance shout out :-)
ReplyDeleteThis teacher didn't even call it Savasana - she just called it "rest". Americans can be so lame.