The 600 is the bar that is physically closest to the KC without actually being in the KC. It is in the Watergate building on street level and if you were to dine at the 600 it would be remarkably expensive. Especially considering that the food isn't very good and the service generally speaking worse. However, because of it's proximity to work, we go there a couple of times a week (hey, if you are seeing shows at the rate I'm seeing them currently you'd need a drink too!). And if I've only learned two things in my time in theatre, then i thought they should be good ones. The first, as I believe I've covered here before, is to be nice to your box office staff, the second, is to be nice to, and get to know, your bartender and if it's somewhere you ever want to go again, try and tip well. I find that DC folk tip badly so the latter isn't too hard to do, even on what I'm making now.
So there are several regular bartenders at the 600 - Matt and Andre are the only two to deal with though and if they aren't working, you might as well just leave. I achieved a milestone this week in the bartender/patron relationship: I have reached free drink status. A few of us had been in there on Monday briefly after work (in light of the rotation debacle - which has now all been sorted out fortunately). Neither were working - as it's the dark night at the KC, the 600 is dead dead dead. Anyway, the service was beyond awful - and I mentioned to Matt on Wednesday when we were in there before the Nutcracker how relieved I was to see him. I ordered the usual happy hour red wine (swill as I like to refer to it because it's pretty awful) and he said that he had something better for me to try and low and behold, a free round of really yummy wine!
Tonight, before the NSO Pops concert (Marvin Hamlisch conducting the music from the Music Man - lovely) I paid only happy hour swill price for what I was pretty sure was the yummy wine. Far more drinkable. My work here is done.
No comments:
Post a Comment