As you may know, Safeway is a grocery chain here in the US. They are all over DC and somehow or other each particular Safeway has a nickname. And these nicknames seem to be universal - it's not just KC people referring to them this way, but it's in common usage. So for instance, there is one in Capitol Hill, near a place I almost rented but I thought the neighbourhood needed to transition a little more before I would be comfortable living there. That Safeway used to be called the UnSafeway. Now it has been upgraded to the Not So Safeway. The Safeway in my new neighbourhood you will be relieved to hear is called the Communist Safeway as it is in the gay village. Gay = Communist in this country I guess.
Go figure.
The one I think is funniest is the Safeway that is on the ground floor of the Watergate building. This is called the Ghetto Safeway. The Watergate itself you would think of as a glamourous sort of place - and maybe the condos are - but the mall part of the complex really doesn't look like it's been touched since Nixon last visited. The Safeway is in fact very ghetto. (for geographical reference the Watergate is right next to the KC so we spend a fair bit of time over there). I imagine the owners of the million dollar condos above the store would not appreciate the cleverness of it all....
Oh my GAWD that is like seven different kinds of funny!
ReplyDelete