Sunday, October 17, 2010

While I love the "It Gets Better" campaign and what it is trying to say to LGBTQ youth across North America, what actually needs to happen is for the STRAIGHT kids and teens (and adults) to grow a pair and stick up for the kids you see being bullied or mistreated - for whatever reason. Don't let them get picked on. Don't turn a blind eye. Don't walk away. Behave with humanity. Then it would get better.

Be the moderator. The peacekeeper. The protector.
Be someone you can be proud of being.

When I was a kid, I didn't know about homosexuality, but my best friends were Black and Chinese and it never occurred to me that there was anything different about that. They were just my friends. I was taught that everyone was equal and deserved to be treated that way. I was taught to stand up for myself and to stand up for others when they couldn't. This is how I try to live.

I hate bullies - and we've all had to face them. And that's the key, we have to face them, but it doesn't have to be alone. Be strong for someone else when they can't be. Raise your voice. Bullies are chickens - I know, I've stared down a few in my time. Teach your kids that just not being the bully isn't enough. It isn't enough if you let someone else get hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment