Sunday, October 3, 2010

The 5th Nuit Blanche was last night and I have to say I liked most of what I saw. We only lasted 3 1/2 hours but saw about 25 installations, which I think is pretty good.

Creepy Clowns on Yonge St

Many things stayed with me (including the clowns above), but I even enjoyed some of the video art (I know, crazy - Eternal Encore being the favourite for me I think). This year was definitely an improvement on two years ago. I also really just love that for at least one night a year, art is cool and interesting to "normal" people. Even if some of the art is of questionable value and sometimes it doesn't live up to the expectations (hello rubber ducks on the Ryerson pond I'm talking about you) and the crowds can be intense and stupid. That is all secondary. It is the city committing to a festival which brings art literally into the streets and into the consciousness of a million people. And that is worth celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment