Well not me, but my FFF. Welcome to Adams Morgan. Cute isn't it?
On my way to her apartment for the first time on Saturday, I bumped into Joel, the coordinator of the fellowship program (he's new). I thought this was really funny since I know maybe 25 people in this city. Parts of it are very small town like and that is quite comforting.
Adams Morgan is a bit like Yorkville if Yorkville was adjacent to Regents Park. DC is that kind of place, neighbourhoods change by the block. So it makes for an interesting mix of characters.
But it has a Whole Foods and you will be relieved to know that it is just as over-priced, and yet fabulous, as it is in Toronto. I was carded!! This is not unusual really because every bar and restaurant pretty much cards everyone. So it isn't because I look so youthful(though I'm sure I don't look a day over 32). However, I had not expected to be carded at the high end grocery store for buying a bottle of wine.
I mention Whole Foods mainly because it is here I bought the ingredients for the most expensive butter tarts ever made. As it was Canadian Thanksgiving, I thought I should make something that was Canadian and the only thing I could think of was butter tarts because they don't have them here (pecan pie is close but not the same thing). I don't even especially like butter tarts. Anyway, sadly the most expensive butter tarts ever made, did not set properly so I ended up not taking them to the office as planned. They were quite tasty though, even in their overly runny state.
The weekend was blissfully lazy overall. Saturday I did not leave the apartment once I'd gotten there (it was rainy so I had a perfect excuse) and watched a Bones marathon on one of the 200 channels she has. Sunday was the march, mentioned above, and Monday, I explored the neighbourhood a bit. I found this bookstore/coffeeshop/speakeasy called Busboys and Poets. It was really barely a bookstore which was a bit disappointing, so little browsing opportunity. It was also packed so there wasn't even a corner for me to prop myself if I'd wanted to have a cup of tea. And I'd not brought my fancy laptop to work on so I wouldn't have fit in (it was that kind of place - which is weird considering I'm pretty sure there was a drug deal happening on the corner across the street).
That night, I went with a few of the fellows to my first local DC theatre experience. It was a staged reading of the sequel to the Laramie Project. The original was written 10 years ago around the murder of Matthew Shepherd in Laramie Wyoming. This sequel was being simultaneously performed in 150 places around the world including all 50 states, DC and Toronto. It was interesting to see, though I thought the actors were for the most part pretty awful and the writing weaker than the original. I was however glad to have been there and to have attended something with the DC theatre community. The KC is somewhat removed from the norm - similar to how it was when I was with the Mirv - so it was good to be there.
No comments:
Post a Comment