Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I learned today that I have an international readership. Thank you for checking in, I will try to be entertaining... (so much pressure!)

The event du jour was a reception at the residence of the Indian Ambassador. A gorgeous "home" as you can imagine. It was about the size of the Canadian Governor General's house so not exactly cramped for space. In 2011, the KC will be doing a festival focused on India (currently being called the Festival of India. Not the most catchy title but descriptive) and so today was the second event where we dipped our toe into the world of Indian corporations and business people to put out feelers for financing. Lots and lots of small talk. I sometimes think that they bring a Fellow to an event like this so that the staff don't have to do so much talking. I did a lot of talking.

There is the old saying about how Canada is a mosaic and the US a melting pot, and this is very, very true. Having worked with Indian dance companies in Canada, and loving Bollywood movies, (and just being generally aware of the rest of the world) I have a decent idea of Indian culture - certainly the Westernized versions of it anyway - and I am finding that some of my co-workers are just less aware of how other cultures work. I do think when people immigrate to the States they really feel they need to blend in and everyone else feels they should too.

Oh, the food at this reception was amazing. I would have eaten much more if I hadn't been working. I wish they'd given us doggie bags...

No comments:

Post a Comment