Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Exploring the depths of KC

When the Kennedy Center was built, they did not anticipate a staff of 1000 working in it, so there are some interesting places. For instance today we had our finance class in the PMO conference room (I like this name as of course it sounds like Prime Minister's Office to me). It is located in the parking lot. I'm not kidding. It's along a side wall on the B level of the parking garage (so two levels down...). So yes it is a small airless room, but I suppose it isn't filled with exhaust fumes which I guess is the alternative.

Yesterday we had a backstage tour of the four larger theatres in the facilities. The Director of Production gave us his personal tour - though most of the stories cannot be repeated in polite company (he is ex-union and was the head carpenter at the Opera House for 20 years. He was made the TD at some point after that and there are excellent management-union relations because of him. One story involves him smashing through the front gates at the White House. Oops). I have to say that the first 3 theatres were of a size that I am used to working in - though very neat to be on stage (and felt right at home) but nothing out of the ordinary for me.
And then we got to the Opera House. This is the second largest stage in the US (so North America) and it was magnificent. I was in heaven. They were in the middle of the fit up for the next Washington Opera performance (Falstaff) and everything was just so....neat. I was in awe of it all. I'm not sure how to swing one of my other routines so that I can just live backstage there but I'm going to give it serious thought :-) I didn't take pictures because I didn't want to be that person, but I'm sort of wishing I had...

No comments:

Post a Comment