Friday, October 9, 2009

Everything starts early here. It's now about 9:45pm as I write this and tonight I went to dinner, walked to an auditorium on the GW University campus and heard a reading by Michael Chabon (author of the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay among others) with an overly long Q & A period, and am home after my half hour+ commute. It's a very sleepy sort of place. I think part of it is that the Metro closes at midnight (at the latest, I think it's earlier some nights) so that handicaps the city somewhat. But in general, it just isn't a late night sort of town. The majority of the programming at the KC starts at 7 or 7:30 too. I guess that's just what works. It is also much more rare for someone here to work after 5pm (government hours) - I of course do, but that's a whole other issue.
The reading was interesting, though not the best I've been to. It was good to go do something a little different and I'm always up for seeing different venues.
This weekend is Columbus Day weekend here so we have Monday off. And Saturday and Sunday too as a bonus. Tomorrow I'm heading into DC and spending two nights at my FFF's fabulous Adams Morgan apartment while she is in NYC. Tomorrow when I get there, I may just never leave. I may just lay on the couch and watch crappy television for eight hours straight. We'll see.
Sunday I'm going to the "Equality March" - they are woefully behind on gay rights in this country and plus I thought it would be good for me to wash the memory of the anti-health care rally from me once and for all. It's down on the Mall so it will be neat to see it full of people. And I can walk there from my fancy bachelorette pad :-)

And the KC has posted our "class" pictures. So if you'd like to amuse yourself you are welcome to look:
http://www.kennedy-center.org/education/artsmanagement/fellows/fellows_10.html

I would just like to say that they edited our bios and did a terrible job. AND the headshots were taken after the group shot for which we spent about 2 hours outside in the wind (this is a very windy city - especially on the terrace of the KC), so no one is especially happy with how their hair looks. However...

Metro tidbit #143
They close the Arlington Cemetery stop when the cemetery is not open. I do not know this as a verified fact, however, from my observation this seems to be the case. I mean it makes sense but it just hadn't occurred to me - the cemetery is so big it's not going to be your closest metro stop regardless and I guess this also ensures that people leave the place when they are told to!
I haven't made it there yet but will at some point. My friend the bagpiper sometimes plays there so I may wait until he's playing for something to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment