Monday, April 5, 2010

Today was the last day that the State dept fellows were in DC. We ended their stay with a roundtable discussion on arts administration internationally in front of about 200 guests that was recorded to be podcast on the KC website. The event really was a vehicle for the State dept's program and so basically I think we were there just for filler and not really to provide content. I had a few things to say, and I said a little, but it was pretty clear that our input wasn't required. This was a little frustrating, not because I need to listen to myself talk, but because if they were honest with themselves about their goals for the event, they could have done a better job of structuring it to reach those goals. As it was, most of the KC fellows said nothing and felt a bit stupid. However, there were still some good issues brought up and I think the audience would have still come away with something from it. The State dept was pleased which hopefully means the program will continue - I know the participants were getting so much out of it all so regardless of whatever political agenda was the impetus behind it, it would be a shame if it didn't continue.

This evening I went to the Helen Hayes awards - DC's theatre awards. This is a much smaller community than Toronto and the awards were kinda hokey. I mean, they actually weren't terrible (and they ended earlier than they were supposed to which never happens at the Doras), the presenters and the winners were all very light hearted about the whole thing. It was kinda sweet. They did little dance numbers between awards which...well...I could have done without. Apparently it's been the same producer and creative team doing the ceremony for years and it sort of felt like that. They opened with "There's No Business like Show Business" which tells you where the bar was set for the evening...
The friend I went with had a cold so we didn't go to the after party which is too bad. I suppose I could have gone - I actually knew people there, more than I had expected to, which was neat to realize. I guess in our business it doesn't take that long to make connections even in entirely new communities - it's a transient industry anyway. However, the weekend was busy so I thought getting home before midnight wasn't a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment