Sunday, April 4, 2010

Saturday, Sunday...

Yesterday was very full - and I fell asleep watching a bad Food Network show so did not get a chance to update.
Brunch with the Famous American Playwright and entourage was lovely. I am too jaded I think because I hadn't really thought about having a festival in your honour as that big a deal. It is. He said it was the highlight of his career and made winning a Tony look like nothing. It was very moving and I was honoured to have been invited and to have been there.

In the evening my friend took me to the DC United home opener. He's a member of the Screaming Eagles supporters club (though I actually know way more about soccer than he does). So we sat on the fringes of the rowdy section (I said I wouldn't sit anywhere I was likely to have beer poured on me) and went to the supporters tailgate party pregame. This is very American. It was in the parking lot of the stadium with burgers and beer (veggie burgers though which impressed me!). I mean I found it a bit strange, but whatever, it's a way for the club to raise some money.
Our seats were fantastic - sixth row - in a stadium that seats 60,000. The Red Skins used to play here but it was too small for them. I don't think DC United have ever filled the place and I think there were fewer people at this game than Toronto FC get. The soccer was bad. We lost 2-0, but I have to say the final goal by New England was absolutely beautiful. One of their guys against 3 of ours and he just kicked it right over their heads and past the keeper. The people around me weren't very impressed when I said what a beautiful goal it was - but it was!
I was actually (for once) very impressed with Metro. They had staff and police at the station directing people after the game and at the major transfer points on the way home. Thinking of Union station after a Leafs game, the TTC could learn a lot from the precision and efficiency of this crowd control.

Highlight of today and our 80F weather, blood orange and chocolate gelato!
It's nice to have a full weekend again....

1 comment: