Got stuck last night crossing the circle by the motorcade to end all motorcades. They had police stopping pedestrians for about 10 minutes. So final tally yesterday:
regular motorcade - 4
Presidential motorcade - 1
Motorcade motherlode - 1
I wish there was someone to write to to say how impressed I was with the secret service at the White House yesterday. They should have White House comment cards on your way out.
Just in front of us in line was an elderly couple - well into their 80s I would say and not in the best health. It was a cold and drizzly morning and the woman was clearly not feeling well. Without having to ask, someone appeared with a wheelchair for her. Someone else offered to wheel her up the hill (there is a pretty steep incline leading up to the entrance of the East Wing and it would have been hard for her husband to push). He was having some trouble even walking up the hill and instantly there was a guard walking with him, just chatting, not making him feel awkward at all but just there in case he needed an arm to hold on to. When they reached the building itself, the security had moved the woman to a sofa that was in a roped off section so she could rest without being in the throngs of people. The guard with the husband just said that they could stay all day if they liked, in fact they don't kick people out and will stay open as long as someone is still looking. I left the two of them sitting on the sofa, holding hands and listening to the guard tell stories about the room they were in. It was really some of the most attentive and touching service I have seen.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment