Thursday, November 11, 2010

I watched the CBC online at 11am this morning to see the ceremony in Ottawa for Remembrance Day. I remember standing out there many years as a child and it always being cold and grey and rainy. It looked beautiful today. Last year it poured on Damion and I at Arlington Cemetery. Maybe it's fine as long as I'm planning to commemorate inside.
I also remember being turned down for the Ottawa youth choir that sings every year for the ceremony. I'm still a tad resentful of that if I'm honest. This year, they didn't sound very good either!

The faces of the old veterans always make me sad. It's something about how they look so smart in their uniforms and how you know that they will stand for the entire service if they can, even if it's the longest that they have stood in a long while. It is just that important. So many of them seem alone in the crowd and their faces are etched with expression. It just makes me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment