I was told by Customs Guy - when being spoken to sternly about not losing my paperwork (for future reference, I have it all now of course...) that 10 of the 19 9-11 hijackers were on this same type of visa so they take the security very seriously. Okay then. I wanted to say that the most subversive thing I had planned on doing when in the US was promote the idea of universal health care, but I thought better of it.
The Philly airport is crap.
I had packed lightly as you know (four checked bags!! ugh!!! and big heavy over-weight ones at that - all of which remain packed at this moment, I am avoiding the unpacking having packed and repacked them about three times in the last 48 hours in a desperate (failed) effort to economize). And without the Christensen-Torr clan to assist me on the DC leg, I was worried that I was in for difficulty. However, the baggage gods took pity and they all a) arrived and b) fit on the trolley, so I was feeling pretty lucky.
I have roommates. I've not had a roommate-roommate since university so this is a HUGE adjustment for me which I am trying to be zen about. However, I have a really big room at the front of the house with four windows so I can always just spend my time in here if I want to avoid people. Though everyone seems very nice so far. Fingers crossed.
I made my first trek in my new hood to Trader Joe's tonight. This is a crunchy-granola grocery store that sells lots of vegetarian things but no kleenex. And wine. I love that they sell wine. I didn't buy any (ahem!) but likely will tomorrow since they are open (weird on Labour Day). Tomorrow I will also find the Metro station (subway) and figure out how that all works before I start at the KC on Thursday.
Now I am very tired and should open a suitcase or something...
Trader Joes is supposed to have great junk food, and they carry Two Buck Chuck!
ReplyDeleteWe miss you!
Erin