Monday, September 28, 2009

Ball round-up



Okay, I have fully recovered from my NSO ball experience. Actually it was quite a lovely night, though capped with an hour plus wait for a cab to get home. There was a torrential downpour so this apparently was the cause, however, it was a good lesson to have multiple cab numbers on hand. I now have 3 recorded in my cell phone.
It turned in to a full day of pre-ball prep. I decided to go for a manicure in the morning, and for E and L, my manicurist wasn't quite as fabulous as the one I had in Vegas, but pretty close. In the afternoon I decided that something needed to be done to my hair, so I wandered down the street and went to the first place that looked like they didn't cost a fortune. I just had them style it - though we did have a bit of a language issue with me saying that in the humidity it was better to go curly and as a result they made my hair so flat it stuck out like two sheets of paper from my head. However, with some adjustments, it was fine and still probably better than I could have done myself.
I'm including two pictures here - first of my FFF taking a picture of Kentucky and then me with our Russian fellow. (or as it turns out me first than the other! stupid up-loading) He makes a lovely accessory. I would like to point out for the record that I bought this dress for the opening night of Rent in...1998? and it is really a modern miracle that it still fits. It doesn't currently fit as well as it should, but it still goes on, so that's a victory. It was also at the time the most expensive item of clothing I had ever bought, so I guess it has paid its dues now that it has been worn at the Kennedy Center. (and yes, Canstage folk will recognize it as what I wore to our ball last year...)
I love the orchestra. Or maybe it was a combination of the concert hall and the orchestra but still. I'm actually excited about going to see them perform again. I was mesmorized. The two hard core orchestra people in the fellowship had criticisms but I suppose since my main previous symphony experience was at Roy Thomson hall pre-reno, I thought they were the bees knees. Seriously.
The dinner and dancing part of the evening was what it was. I'm learning that DC does not do vegetarian. The cocktail party on the Friday night had NOTHING (well except the cupcakes - and believe you me I had a couple of those) and so maybe it's just that the rich in DC don't do vegetarian, but I'm finding it very difficult when eating out. Trader Joe's of course would lead you to believe that the entire nation has converted, but that is not the case. It's just something I'm going to have to remember in future and pack a granola bar! There was a vegetarian option - salmon (so they don't quite get it) and so I didn't eat all that much over the course of the night. I'm glad I didn't pay for it, is all I can say....
Overall, the night (after the actual concert) was a little anti-climactic but such is life.
Sunday, I ventured into a new part of town and tried out a Greek restaurant near the Portrait Gallery. I liked the area so much that after work tonight, me and FFF went to the portrait gallery for a couple of hours and then had a glass of wine at the bar next to the restaurant I was at yesterday. It is truly brilliant having free galleries so you can pop in and out as you like without any pressure - FFF laments the lack of good wine here and I have to say I mostly agree with her. DC is not a wine town. And when you find somewhere with a decent list, you pay for it. I don't mind plonk myself, but I guess it is unFrench to drink crap wine.
We went through the American Presidents at the gallery in preparation of our White House tour bright and early tomorrow. Neatest thing was the Abe Lincoln bit where you can go out to the balcony where his inauguration took place - they then also have some very gruesome photos and images from his assassination. But it's an interesting chapter in their history for sure.

Think of me on the metro at 7am - ACK. Why they couldn't have chosen 1pm I'll never know...I'll say hi to the Obamas for you if they are back from the G20....

No comments:

Post a Comment