Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Today I went to the White House

Sorry I'm late posting this - I found the Amazing Race online and so had to watch it. And it was two hours!
This morning was our White House tour. Started off poorly with our group not being on the official list of visitors so there were faxes that had to be sent and approvals made (guess who was coordinating this visit? the person who used to run my program. Coincidence? I think not!)
Anyway, they let us in eventually, and it was a lovely, slightly cool morning for standing around outside.
We only got to see the East Wing - not that I was expecting to get in to the Oval Office or anything, but I thought they were be an opportunity to peak around the corner or something, but it was not to be. You only get to see maybe ten rooms in total, and while impressive, if you have been to any of the Royal homes in England, this was really nothing special. I did like some of the art though. They are strangely proud of the fact that the British burned the place in 1817 or whenever it was. Maybe 1817 was when the repairs were finished (clearly I wasn't paying too close attention on this tour). You would have thought they'd be slightly ashamed of this fact, but no, they went on and on about it.
My favorite part of the tour was actually right at the end as we were leaving. Looking up from that particular exit you could see a window that had a little butterfly decal on it. I thought that that must be one of the girls' rooms, or a room where they spend some time. Either way, I was glad that there was a sign, however small, that children lived there and that they could behave like children, even though they were growing up in the White House.

No comments:

Post a Comment