Thursday, September 10, 2009

I down, 18 to go



Yesterday I was a bit of a tourist and went to visit the White House and the Natural History Museum (part of the Smithsonian). We fellows are going to try and arrange for a group tour of the White House (which has to be requested up to six months in advance) because, why not??? though I do think I'd keep expecting to see the characters from the West Wing. From the outside, it looks pretty much like you'd expect. Hard to get to at the moment and certainly gone are the days you could just drive by the outside (which I seem to remember doing once on a family trip).

I took a picture of the dinosaurs in the museum because..dinosaurs!! Actually I have to say, I liked their dino collection almost as much as the original (and still the best in my mind) exhibit at the old Museum of Man in Ottawa (that's what it was called! it was the 70s). I suppose because it was the collection of my childhood, it will always be the ultimate dinosaur display.
I have to say though the gems and minerals collection at the Smithsonian was really my favorite part. I am attracted to bright, shiny objects I guess.

1 comment:

  1. I should add that the title refers to the fact that there are 19 museums and galleries in the Smithsonian realm. I have seen 1. I will have to visit 2 a month for the rest of my time here if I want to see them all (this is not likely..)

    ReplyDelete