Saturday, September 25, 2010

so tired...

Standing for 8 hours straight on concrete two days in a row is exhausting.

We launched our Art in the Atrium project at the hospital this week as a way to increase our presence in the hospital community, start integrating art into the daily life of the hospital, and perhaps make artists feel more comfortable coming in to the building to use the clinic.

Our mini-art exhibit the Art of Health was a big hit. After a bit of the what I imagine is usual resistance from some hospital staff ("you can't put that there" "you can't do that here") (there is a reason I have no interest in hospital administration), we won everyone over and I think, for two people who had never curated or set up an art show before, it looked good! 3 pieces in particular captured people over and over again (one by a friend of mine I'm happy to say). I gave out a lot of cards so hopefully something will even sell.

Standing around for two days with the clinic's coordinator gave us a lot of time to come up with other plans. One of which is to have a rotating art gallery that can circulate through the patient units where people have to spend longer periods of time - long term stay or dialysis treatments. Anyway, there are logistics to work out but I think it's a really good idea. (I would of course having thought of it!). It's one of those things that doesn't have a downside. It benefits the patients, staff and the artist.

The second part of the launch was lunchtime performances by my friend Jim's jazz trio. It was the perfect choice for the start of the performance series. High quality performance with mellow musicians who could roll with whatever happened. Since I didn't know how it was going to go - I can't actually control all the elements at the hospital which is offputting actually - I wanted people I could depend on to kinda roll with it. Fortunately the most challenging moment was the Druxy's woman who said the music was giving her a headache. Um....okay Marvin Gaye played on the vibes is giving you a headache? I think this is a perfect example of someone whose life is very small. Anyway, all the hospital staff were thrilled and loved it. The clinical director was particularly impressed and started chatting with me about the idea of having an artist in residence at the hospital. So, I guess I'll end up doing some good here whether I want to or not...

My old peeps launched their season Thursday night. I'll not say much as well...I guess I don't understand why they are doing a misogynist German play from the 1990s. So much money was spent and honestly, it was just too boring to be offensive. I did love the polar bear though. People worked so hard on this too - many challenging hours - and I'm disheartened that my fears for the direction of the season seem to be founded.
Last night I was at the Tarragon for their owning show. And it was excellent. Of course. Charming, well acted, interesting, challenging, slightly odd and simple. A well made play, telling an interesting complete story.

It's been a full few days and I am pooped. Today, I sit around!

No comments:

Post a Comment