Monday, December 6, 2010

Theatre Geek Fest

Otherwise known as an Evening in Conversation with Stephen Sondheim. Such an articulate man. Well let's be honest, he's a friggin' genius. A living legend of the stage - and that's not even an exaggeration. And I got to hear him talk for almost two hours. So what that he was clearly bored of it all the last 20 minutes?? (I would have been too if I'd had to answer some of those questions). That's still an hour and a half of hearing him speak not bored.

Still one of my top five favourite productions of all time - maybe even top three - was a small regional theatre production of Into the Woods that I saw in York in the north of England in 1997. This was before I became a musical theatre junky - in fact I was still a straight theatre snob - and probably was the first Sondheim I'd seen on stage. Basically zero set budget, no stars and actually a pretty small cast. And it transformed the way I thought about theatre. Full stop. And that is Stephen Sondheim.

1 comment:

  1. Well, now you have to list your top 5. It's not fair to us otherwise!

    erin

    ReplyDelete