Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I love New York

I'm tired so will try to write more on this tomorrow but my New York fellows reunion was terrific.
Looking around at dinner, it all seemed very natural that we were there together again. If the program did nothing else, it seems to have created this strange crazy bound between us. I joked that it was this weird co-dependency. Which is true. And it's unique to our year - the two other Canadians from previous classes have similar experiences.

Anyway, some hi-lights:
Saturday night was the annual Santa march. Who knew? 6000 people dressed as Santa rallied at Washington Square and then spread throughout the surrounding neighbourhood - where we were having dinner. There were Santas everywhere. Drunken Santas.
We then went to one of those bars that would only survive in New York - though I'm sure someone in Toronto would love to be cool enough - no sign on the door and you have to ring the bell to get in at which point basically they judge whether you are cool enough to get in. We passed!! I would normally think this is terribly pretentious, but it is way better when you are allowed in :-) Actually the bar was super cozy and charming. I had a very yummy drink (well two) basically a bourbon sour with maple syrup. Tasty.
I also discovered High Line Park. Built on 1.5 miles of unused elevated railway from the 1930s, the city has created a beautiful landscaped park which overlooks the Meatpacking District on one side and the Hudson River on the other. It was this amazing oasis in the middle of the city - and designed not only to be beautiful but to be used by the people who live nearby - benches and cafe tables scattered along it.
This trip I feel I have almost conquered the NY subway system. Not that I know where it all goes or how, but I figured things out and took it on my own for the first time, I even gave someone else directions. Which I hope were correct. If not, she'll have ended up in Brooklyn.
Anyway, it was a wonderful refreshing break. I'll post some pics once I've downloaded them...

No comments:

Post a Comment