
For the first time in all the years that I've lived in Toronto, I went to the Festival of Lights in Kensington Market tonight. The event marks the Winter Solstice and involves costumes and lanterns and a parade ending with a big ol' bonfire. I'd intended to go many times in the past but something has always come up - or it was a blizzard or too damn cold or what have you. I'm really glad I finally made it out. It's another one of those neat uniquely Toronto things which is good for me to remember and participate in.
It was a little frosty out, but the crispness didn't keep the spirits down. It really feels like the whole community is out participating - families, couples, dogs - all out dancing down the streets, bringing back the light.
We came upon a group of kids putting on their very own unique pageant- a tale of how to save the city...

Yes, that's Sarah Palin standing with a representation of...you guessed it...Rob Ford (look closely at the license plate). Not only was the skit fun, but it also was very accurate in terms of the style and rules of the passion plays. Very impressive kids!!
No comments:
Post a Comment