Sunday, June 13, 2010

I realize that likely no one is ready this now, but I felt compelled to tell someone about part of my night. And since it's late, I'm writing it down.
I was just at a lovely wedding on Ward's Island. Even though it poured with rain this afternoon, even though I don't tend to like weddings (though I go to many), this one was lovely. Two people just so well suited for each other and who have only added to the other, not detracted. Whatever compromises they have made have not been "sacrifices", they have just been what made sense.
Most of us caught the last ferry home. There was another wedding on the island and so many of their guests were also on this ferry - along with the band that had played that wedding. About half way across the lake, the trumpeter started to play and that beautiful dixieland sound echoed over the water. It was haunting and soulful. Couples started dancing. He played until we reached the mainland and then serenaded everyone off the boat. It was really magical and a moment that was nearly perfect. I think it was brought to me to make me feel happier about being home - I've been feeling homesick for DC (while it's lovely to see people and I've missed everyone, I feel at loose ends and restless). But there is magic here even as the G20 fences go up barricading the downtown from itself.

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful. Sounds like the sort of magical moment that makes us keep going back to New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete