It's funny, as a theatre person, I've not had a subscription to a theatre in years (I was a Tarragon subscriber for a couple of years when I lived on Dupont), but would happily subscribe to a couple of the film festivals here. In part I felt it was important to support TIFF in their first year with a building and I just like their programming too.
Today I was a bit extravagant. As a Landmark Birthday is approaching, I decided to splurge and give myself a membership to the Toronto Temperance Society. I was lucky enough to visit it a few weeks ago with a friend who is a member and I just loved the vibe of the place. It is a private members club/bar which is basically set in Prohibition Era Toronto. The look of the place from what the bartenders wear to the music and the wallpaper all fits. The cocktails are all era appropriate and delicious. The rules of membership are also so civilized. No cellphones. No one under the age of 25. It just felt like somewhere I wanted to support. Plus the first time I was there was after seeing a concert at the Drake - the concert was amazing despite the crowd, who were not. The TS just seemed like an oasis of sanity afterwards.
I also figure I spend money on much more ridiculous things that I won't enjoy as much so why not? (I'm worth it :) )
OMG! I've never heard of the Temperance Society. Sounds AMAZING!
ReplyDelete